League Forums

Main - Rivalries

SD v Tenn

By jgcruz
4/18/2015 2:14 am
Good luck, tosu. You've got a great roster. Tough to plan against.

Re: SD v Tenn

By tosu
4/18/2015 11:49 am
Good luck to you too. I am baffled how two 77 speed WR's run away from the D as though they have a turbo boost :(

By jgcruz
4/18/2015 1:27 pm
tosu wrote:
Good luck to you too. I am baffled how two 77 speed WR's run away from the D as though they have a turbo boost :(

How is this for a theory? (jdavid might differ on my theory):

Start with the plays called:

Situation: 4th qtr; less than 3 minutes to play

Defense: Nickel/Cover 2 (Neutral) - (CBs in zone coverage and play in the flats (outside CB zones take them 3-5 yds downfield; FS and SS play deep zone over the middle)

Offense: 1TE - 4WRs/Slot Crosses - (Outside WRs run 15 yds straight down field; inside WRs make moves to the inside and cross 5 yds downfield)

Next, execution of the play:

Both outside WRs run free along the sidelines and past the outside CBs who are sitting in their respective short zones. The deep Ss are at first preoccupied with the WRs who are moving past the LBs who are sitting in their respective short zones. The QB throws to WR1 (Cravens) who has found an opening behind the CB1 on his side. He catches the ball about 17 yds downfield and 3 yds behinds the trailing CB1 (Stamms).

The CB1 (Stamms) who is trailing WR1 (Cravens) by 3 yds when the catch is made has a top speed of 67 and 93 acceleration. WR1 (Cravens) has a top speed of 77, acceleration of 77 and ball carry of 88. CB1 quickly closes the gap between him and WR1 (Cravens) by a yd probably due to his acceleration advantage (93 over 77). But he cannot close the gap further due to WR1's top speed advantage (which is evidently hindered (reduced to 65 +/-?) a little by the fact that he is carrying the ball).

Meanwhile, the Ss and MLB are in hot pursuit of WR1 and make up considerable ground in closing the gap with WR1. However, the Ss have had to run a long distance to reach WR1, having come across the field from their middle zones (after first making a move to cover the WRs who were crossing over the middle). Once they were within 3-5 yes of WR1, their speed reduced dramatically. So much so, that MLB Wiiliams actually overtook one of the pursuing Ss.

Both Ss have top speed and acceleration that exceeds WR1. So what accounts for their drop in speed on this play. First, they both had to sprint a great distance from the middle of the field to the sideline. So that might have fatigued them enough to account for the decreased speed. In addition, FS Rogers played in 70 plays. SS Tanner played in 72 plays. And CB1 Stamm played in 67 plays. Contrast that with the fact that WR1 (Cravens) played in only 50 plays. Could that mean that he was simply fresher and could maintain a speed closer to his top end longer than the pursuing DBs?

Perhaps. Or maybe i just rolled snake eyes when needed? ;-)

By jgcruz
4/18/2015 1:30 pm
By the way, Searle is a fricken monster! SD has never missed so many tackles. Or should I say, no one has broken more tackles against SD.

Great offensive game plan.

By tosu
4/20/2015 3:59 pm
I thought we had you but to be 19-0 deserves props. Wishing you well in the Super Bowl and either way, great season!

By jgcruz
4/20/2015 11:07 pm
Thanks much. I'm not 19-0 yet. Hopefully, I will be, but the Niners are really clicking now. I will need a better effort of defense. Otherwise, some coach or other has got to go since the owner is safe!

By tosu
5/26/2015 8:44 pm
So we finally end SD's winning streak at 20-something, but it wasn't easy. To top it off, all 3 of our HB's were injured yet we somehow managed to scratch out a win. You guys are brutal and I wouldn't be surprised at all to meet for the second year in a row in the Conf Final, but lots of games and other tough matchups before that is possible. Best of luck

By jgcruz
5/26/2015 10:02 pm
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Great game and well played, Tosu. Congratulations!

The rain probably affected both teams more than the injuries. Except for a couple of big plays on both sides, neither teams' offense was very effective. Turnovers (-3) and missing some wide open receivers killed the Chargers. Although they were in the game at the end, because of that the Chargers didn't deserve to win this one.

Officially, the winning streak was 22 games (counting post season games), and 25 regular season games. Overall, the Chargers are 28-2 in their last 30 games. Notwithstanding that success, Detroit still holds the best won-loss record all-time (and 2 Super Bowl rings).

Oh well. Back to work. Good luck the rest of the way.